From food to fashion, social media has affected all kinds of industries all over the world. Whether it’s about renting a flat or watching a new movie, most of us prefer to rely on social media for suggestions.The education sector isn’t an exception either. 96% of students with Internet access use social media platforms. 75% of 7th and 12th graders consist of at least one social media profile. With the pandemic looming large, students and teachers have started relying on social media, even more, to help students continue their studies.
So, let’s check out the top three ways social media helps in education.
1. Flexible and efficient communication
The best thing about social media is efficient communication. Whether you want to connect with your professors or apply for an internship, social media lets you do the needful within a few seconds. Let’s say you need urgent essay writing help. You don’t have to waste time dialling your professor’s number to ask for help. Social media platforms such as WhatsApp lets you send messages instantly. So, you can convey your problem and receive a response in a matter of a few seconds.
Impact of social media on students’ communication:
- Social media provides a virtual space for students to explore their academic problems and interests. Whether you want to pursue a course online or you need feedback, social media platforms cover everything.
- The academic discussion blogs available on various social media platforms have made it possible for many students to speak up about their academic challenges.
- Overseas students aren’t usually aware of the environment and customs of their chosen university. So, they can use social media to know everything about the university before enrolling in it.
The COVID-19 outbreak has caused millions of schools to shut down. It is now difficult and risky to meet your teachers or friends physically. Moreover, brick and mortar educational institutions are open for students only for a specific time. Social media, on the contrary, can help you talk to them and get your problems solved through video calls or phone calls. A Texas headteacher, for example, reads students bedtime stories through Facebook Live to connect with them. Many teachers or universities even conduct webinars or question-answer sessions through social media. So, you can attend the sessions to clarify your doubts regarding any subject.
2. Relevant and credible research material
Social media is like a digital newspaper. There are more than 2.4 billion Internet users on social media. 64.5% of them receive breaking news from social media platforms such as Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, etc. instead of traditional media. Thus, social media has become the primary source of news online. You can use social media to keep track of the current world affairs. Social media platforms such as Facebook customise its news feed according to the interest of the users. Thus, all the updated information will be available to you right on the News Feed.
How can social media strengthen your research process?
- Social media platforms such as Pinterest offer inspirations for practical problem-solving or school projects. The pictures available on those social media sites can help you pick a brilliant idea for your projects.
- You can also ask questions and get instant answers on social networking sites such as Quora. You can ask for experts’ suggestions to conduct thorough research for your project.
- Social media provides an opportunity for students to survey and look into what’s new. Thus, it can help you get hold of valuable details for your assignment as well.
Social media also offers audience and subject monitoring tools to its users. You can use these tools to extract data regarding a specific topic instantly. Let’s say you want to write a dissertation or research paper for your psychology class. So, you can use the tools to find what the majority of people feel about that topic. Check how the experts in that field think about the credibility of your topic. These valuable suggestions will also help you gain more insights into a subject.
3. Social media classrooms
Social media can also be directly used in classrooms. From interacting with teachers to writing a concrete essay, different social media platforms can help you in a unique way. Let’s say your teachers have created a class blog on WordPress. You can submit one essay every week and gather feedback from your classmates and teachers through that blog. You can also write discussion posts or add comments on class prompts. All in all, it will help you learn how to write an essay without having to attend classes physically.
How can social media be used as classrooms?
- Instagram is the best platform for students to practise digital storytelling. So, you can use it to present a series of graphics or photos in a visually appealing manner.
- Twitter can be great for students to discuss a specific topic. Professors can create a Twitter handle per class. Writing within the 280-character limit can help students think critically on effective communication.
- The Facebook Groups can help teachers stream Facebook Live lectures, assign homework and post discussion questions.
Other social networking sites such as Pinterest can help teachers prepare and organise resources, worksheets and lesson plans. Teachers can create boards for specific subjects and create sub-topic boards for weekly tests on all worksheets. You can use Pinterest while writing the bibliography for your paper. You can pin the websites, videos or books to a board and refer back to them while writing the bibliography.
Social media comes with both advantages and disadvantages for students. It’s a boon if you use it for educational or productive purposes. As discussed above, social media can positively reshape the education sector. From learning new lessons to communicating with teachers, it can make all the aspects of education easier for students. So, next time you scroll down your Instagram feed, try to look for ideas for your next academic project.